Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Mom Who Used Her Baby As A Shield!


If you are reading this blog, you are either a parent, or someone who works with children, or someone who cares about children. So think about this. Imagine you had a child in your arms, and you were confronted with a weapon of some sort.... whether it was a speeding car, a stick being thrown by another child, a bullet, or, say, a taser dart. What would your first instinct be?
For most of us, our first instinct would be to protect the child. This is basic instinct for most people caring for children. Even if you don't have kids of your own. I found this out for myself a few years ago, while assisting in a PE class with some first and second graders with autism and ADHD. One little guy, a 7-year-old who had a quick temper and had trouble controlling his impulses, suddenly picked up a hockey stick and raised it over his head, about to bring it down on the head of another little boy, an autistic child who was blissfully unaware that he was about to be knocked unconscious. I was standing near the second boy, and when a coworker shouted "Watch out!", I turned to see the first boy with his hockey stick. Before I knew it, I was bent over the first boy, shielding him with my entire body, while trying to protect my own head with one flimsy hand. Luckily the gym teacher snatched the hockey stick out of the first boy's hand... What were we thinking, playing hockey with those kids, anyway? But I was impressed that my instincts had kicked in, with not much help from me. Somewhere in my subconscious, I had been willing and ready to have my own head cracked open with a hockey stick, in order to protect that little boy.
That is our job, as adults, right? To protect children?
That basic instinct must have been missing from the genetic makeup of one Oklahoma City woman.
This woman was riding in a car, holding her 2-year-old son on her lap. The driver was a man named Joe Hawkins, who was being chased by a bounty hunter. As the getaway car prepared to speed off, the bounty hunter raised his taser gun. According to the bounty hunter, he was about to shoot through the window, past the woman in the passenger seat and hopefully hitting Joe.
But then the woman picked up her son and held him up, apparently to protect herself from the taser.
The taser dart hit the little boy in the hand. A taser dart has two prongs, and since only one of the prongs touched the child, he didn't get shocked. However, he did have to be treated for a bloody hand, since the one prong had gotten stuck in his hand!
The whole situation seems just stupid... from the driver of the car, who ended up crashing his car into an apartment building a few minutes later, while everyone was distracted by the tasered baby... to the bounty hunter, who felt the need to whip out a taser and aim it at someone inside a car when there were two other people between the taser gun and the target... to the crazy, crazy woman who used her child as a shield.
The woman was arrested for a child endangerment. I don't know what will happen to her, or what will happen to the little boy, but it sure seems like he's getting a rough start in life!

1 comment:

Melinda Zook said...

Wow, I came across your blog on Zimbio and I am shocked that someone would do that. I feel so bad for that little boy. The only thing I can think of is that the woman is mentally ill. Our job as parents is to protect our children no matter what and thinking fast and having the right instincts is a must!