Friday, October 5, 2007

Down Syndrome Awareness Month



Hi everyone! I mentioned before, when I announced this month's charity, that this month is Down Syndrome Awareness Month.
Most people have already heard of Down Syndrome, but I thought I'd share a few quick facts about it... like the fact that Down Syndrome is not caused by anything the parents did or didn't do during pregnancy. Also, it is impossible to be able to predict what a child with Down Syndrome will be able to accomplish in life. Like autism, ADHD, learning disabilities, etc, Down Syndrome shows up in different degrees and different people experience different things. Because people with Down Syndrome have extra genetic material, they are more at risk for certain diseases like congenital heart defects, obstructive digestive tracks and childhood leukemia, as well as less serious illnesses such as thyroid problems, colds, bronchial complaints, ear infections, skin rashes and sore lips. In days gone by, people with Down Syndrome often passed away very early in life, often before the age of 5. But in this day and age, we know so much more about Down Syndrome and its related conditions, that now most people with Down Syndrome are expected to have a fairly normal lifespan.

But, those facts are pretty hard for me to digest... I'm not too good at just reading lists of facts... so I thought it might be better to guide you to some actual stories about people with Down Syndrome and their families. They are all over the Internet, especially the blogging world. Check it out!

Joey
Tarenne
Delphine
Kayla
Brady
Tristan
Connor
Amanda
Emma
Evan
Jaden
"E."
"Miss T"
Kallie
Joe
Gabe
Nash
Zoe
Jonny
Avery
Eric
Parker
Vince
Sheena
Jack
Shaylee
Mayson
Evan
Noel
"B"
Georgia
Jacob
Brittany
Melissa
Anya
Eleanor
Christopher

These children, teens and families can tell you more than I can about Down Syndrome... so please visit their pages!

8 comments:

ciscobaby said...

Wow. I'm glad there are people like you out there! My cousin has down's syndrome, and she is amazing!

Karen said...

I love how you listed the blogs by the names of the children blogged about. That means a LOT.

Nicole said...

Nikki, Thanks so much for "getting it" and valuing our children. They are precious and worthy and humble me each day. Thanks for visiting my blog today and sharing!
Hugs, Nicole

jennifergg said...

Thank you for this wonderful post, and for your blog! It's terrific! (And I hope Choppers is feeling okay...we recently lost a dear, sweet family pet to old age. I'm so sorry!)

Tammy and Parker said...

What an awesome post! Thanks so much for this.

~Melissa~ said...

Thank you for taking the time to post this, for visiting my blog and for sharing it on yours!

Christina said...

Cool post!

Thanks for helping raising awareness!

Christina (Vince mom)

asiba said...

i love children with down syndrome...i have a cousin with down syndrome and i love him:(his name is Ramazan and CHELSEA was his friend:(:(:(:(