Saturday, September 1, 2007

New Month, New Charity!


Well, unbelievably, August has come to an end. And I'm pleased to let you know that we raised $22.50 for Cheerful Givers, the organization that provides birthday bags to children in need on their birthdays! Just by reading this blog, you've helped put a smile on a child's face!
And this month, together, we can do it again! This month I thought I'd combine my love for children with my love for animals, and sponsor Reading Education Assistance Dogs! This is a very special national program where children read aloud to trained therapy dogs. For a struggling reader, a therapy dog provides a loving, nonjudgmental audience. A dog will sit with a child, gaze adoringly at them, and get petted, as a child reads to him. This helps the child feel calm and safe (kids do their best learning when they're not terrified of messing up) and also helps the child look forward to reading!
I'm going to be blogging about lots of interesting things for the month of September, so please keep coming bag and giving your support!

1 comment:

Cheerful said...

Wanted to say thanks on behalf of the children who will benefit from your Cheerful Givers donation. For anyone who is interested in learning more about this organization, you can purchase the book "Do I Have A Birthday Too? The Cheerful Givers Story" by Melane Bower on barnesandnoble.com