Friday, August 10, 2007

I'll Be Back on August 19!


Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I am going to be out of town from now until August 19! I am going to be volunteering at Camp To Belong, in Maine!
Camp To Belong is a special summer camp that reunites kids in foster care who are living separately from their siblings. Most of the time, these kids are allowed to visit their siblings once a month or so, for a few hours in a very supervised setting. Other times, they rarely get to visit each other at all! No matter what, when they don't live together, they miss out on doing every day activities together, like eating meals together, playing together, teasing each other, etc.
At Camp To Belong, they get to be together almost 24-7 for a week! (Same-sex siblings always sleep in the same cabins at night, but opposite-sex siblings are obviously in different cabins at night, since all the cabins are separated by boys and girls!) From the time they get up in the morning and meet at the mess hall for breakfast, to the time they part ways at night after the last activity, they are together. They get to do traditional camp activities like hike, swim, do arts and crafts, go boating, etc. They also get to do special things like celebrate an all-camp birthday party together and exchange presents, and make special sibling pillows for each other!
I've volunteered there for the past two summers. Camp To Belong is nationwide. Some states, like Maine, have their own camp for kids from that state... and kids who live in a state without it's own Camp go to the main camp in Colorado. More and more states are taking on Camp To Belong... Unfortunately, my own state, Illinois, has expressed little interest in having something like this.
Anyway, I probably won't have access to my blog all week, because there is no electricity or wi-fi in the middle of the woods! But I'll be keeping a journal in a traditional notebook, and when I come back, I'll copy all my journal entries into this blog, so you can see what the experience was like on a day-to-day basis!
Maybe next summer you'll even think about volunteering at Camp To Belong!
See ya in a week!

2 comments:

amaras_mom said...

Enjoy Maine! Can't wait to hear about camp!

Tom said...

Nicki,

I am writing to thank you for your posting for "Bears for Hannah". I don't know how many bears have been given in her memory, but I know that three more are on their way. Hannah was a sparkling light that did not meet anyone without touching their life. If she were still with us, she would be so excited to pack bears for children in need.

Thank you again for your efforts,

Hannah's Nana and Pop