Thursday, July 26, 2007

Happy Aunts and Uncles Day!

(Thursday Thirteeners, scroll down!)
You may not have known that today is Aunts and Uncles Day, a day devoted to the difference aunts and uncles make in the lives of their nieces and nephews. Every one of us probably has a favorite aunt or uncle, or at least a favorite family friend who was just like an aunt or uncle to us! And those of us lucky enough to be aunts and uncles now... this day is for us, too!
Aunts and uncles have a special opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the children in their own family. When I was growing up, my favorite aunt and uncle were my aunt Betsy and uncle Andy. They were not much older than me... they were only 8 and 6 years old when I was born. But they were definitely my very first role models. I was so lucky because I had two "big kids" who were delighted to spend any sort of time with me, on a regular basis! When I was little, my mom would bring my brother and I to our Nona and Bopop's house about once a week. From the time I was a baby, as soon as we got to the house, Betsy and Andy would snatch us from our mom and whisk us off to play. Betsy enjoyed dressing us up and doing our hair (even my brother's hair!) and then showing us off to the rest of the family members. Andy would take us into his bedroom, where he'd blast his favorite music (VanHalen and BonJovi and what-not.) He'd create elaborate ballots and have us vote for our favorite songs, and then he'd burn us tapes. Or we'd all go outside and romp around in my grandparent's large backyard. Betsy and Andy would put us on their shoulders and have "chicken fights," or tie the Radio Flyer wagon to the back of one of their bikes and pull us around the yard until we toppled! It was like having a big brother and sister, but better... because unlike most siblings, my aunt and uncle never got tired of my little brother and I!
Now that all four of us are grown-up, I'm lucky because I get to be sort of like an aunt to my much younger cousins, Kaylie, Luke and Nicholas, who are now 5, 3 and 1. And I am even luckier because I have my little "adopted" nephew and nieces, who are my best friend's children, and I get to be an auntie to them, too! I adore being an auntie to all of those children... Its one of the best things I've ever experienced in my life!
Happy Aunts and Uncles Day, everyone!








3 comments:

Rochelle said...

I was blog hopping and this is the first time I have been to your site. Very cool. I'm a psychology student who wants to work with children and youth to help them cope with the unfairness of life, so I appreciate what you are doing here. Thanks.

sirjorge said...

yay! I became an uncle last month!

melody is slurping life said...

Happy Day Aunt Nicki! Your nieces and nephews are adorable...I miss mine. We just aren't able to see them very often.